This is my new favourite cake. I’m not usually a chocolate cake girl, but the combination of moist cake, rich caramel and course sea salt is delicious beyond words.
Bake two 9inch round pans of your favourite chocolate cake recipe. Layer with rich caramel (recipe below), cover with a simple chocolate buttercream and sprinkle with course sea salt.
Allow the cake to sit for a few hours before serving – resist the temptation! This allows the caramel to soak into the cake, giving you the most rich and moist cake that you’ve ever eaten.
I promise you, this cake is everything that a dessert should be. The perfect combination of sweet and salty.
1. It is creamy, sweet and delicious! If you don’t like caramel sauce then you have never had the good homemade stuff.
2. I am all about food gifts and caramel sauce makes a fantastic food gift! Make a batch, get it in a jar and include a few recipes or suggestions of how they can enjoy it.
3. Its relatively quick and easy to make once you get the hang of it. My first ever batch was a near disaster because I let it cook for a second longer the needed. Now I can get a batch done in about 5 mins and know exactly what to look for.
4. It’s so versatile. Not only is it going to be the magic ingredient in this cake, but it is also a great apple dip, ice cream topper or cheesecake garnish. It will also take your hot chocolate to the next level.
For The Caramel
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Coarse salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
Make the caramel: Combine granulated sugar, corn syrup, and 1/4 cup water in a medium saucepan over high heat. Cook, without stirring, until mixture is dark amber, about 14 minutes. Remove from heat, and carefully pour in cream (mixture will spatter); stir until smooth. Return to heat, and cook until a candy thermometer reaches 238 degrees, about 2 minutes. Pour caramel into a medium bowl, stir in 1 teaspoon coarse salt, and let cool slightly, about 15 minutes. Stir in butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Let cool completely.